Saturday, November 12, 2005

What is the year again?? 1960?

Believe me, I have heard it all when it comes to slang and derogatory comments based on age, race, religion, sex, ethnicity, etc. This is always from callers though and I tend to cut them a little slack since calling 911 isn’t always the most pleasant of experiences, but sometimes the officers are worse than the callers.

I can’t recall the specific situation but basically there was an incident and one party fled on foot. The officer gets on the air to give the description of the party to other cars that are responding and this is what he says:

Officer: “The suspect is a negro male . . . . (insert height, weight, clothing description here).”

Now I know this isn’t the end of the world, maybe it just slipped out, but it was the way he said it. It came out Neeeeee-grow, with a little bit of a Southern twang at the end for good measure. While the dispatcher kindly answered the officer and gave the time over the air, I was personally mortified. I know what is considered pc is always changing and can be hard to keep up with, but the majority of the population should know that this desciptor is a tad bit outdated. All I could think of was nice job Officer Whitey McCracker – when are you heading to your next Klan meeting?

1 Comments:

Blogger PC Disillusioned said...

Ouch. If I said THAT over the airwaves here in good old liberal (ahem) England, I'd be marched out of the door and into the Inspectors' office quicker than I could say "Out."

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home